Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Calgary Comic And Entertainment Expo

Last weekend, April 27th-29th, was the annual Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo, this was the third year I've had the opportunity to attend this Con and this was the best one yet. This year the guest list was huge including Adam Baldwin, Amanda Tapping, Stan Lee, Tara Strong, the entire cast of a little TV show you may have heard of called Star Trek The Next Generation, and many more. Here's my rundown of the weekend.


I was lucky enough to be able to go down and hang out with an improv group called The 404s (@the404s) which meant I was able to get around the convention a lot easier then most people. I got there and right away it was time for the 404s first show of the convention, it was a short form show with Mr. Ian Boothby (one of the writers from Futurama), it went off really well and was a big hit for it being the first thing happening at this years convention.


After that not too much happened during day 1, I walked around the main Vendors hall and got to see what was there and decide what I was going to spend my money on. I was able to get Issue 1 of DC's The New 52 Swamp Thing signed by one of comics new faces in the art world Yannick Paquette. That was really it for day one at the con.


Saturday was an insane day over at the Stampede grounds to say the least. We headed out to the con around 9 o'clock that morning and traffic was murder. We finally arrived and got to the Green Room and figured out how that day was going to go down, the 404s had a show at 6 that night and other then that it was a go do whatever day. Some stayed in the Green Room where others, like me, decided it was time to experience the con. I wander the floor for a while and found out when the people whose autographs I wanted would be available to get them, Wil Wheaton and Adam Baldiwn. Around this time we found out that the Con was completely full and Fire Marshals were everywhere, anyone that left the con at the point was not allowed to be admitted back in unless it emptied drastically. After that was figured out I went along with a couple of my friends to the Wrestling Panel that featured Jake "The Snake" Roberts, The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, and Honky Tonk Man, they sat there and answered fans questions about their time wrestling and what they thought of the current state of wrestling. After that we went off to Adam Baldwin's Panel were he answered questions of all kinds, most about Firefly, which was to be expected. At 3pm a bunch of the 404s and myself met up to go see an improv show called Harold of Galactus put on by Mark Meer, also known as the voice of Commander Shepard, (@Mark_Meer) and Chris Craddock. The premise of this show is the two improvisers will create a superhero and go through their entire career in the space of about an hour based off of an audience member's suggestion. It was really funny and very well done, if you ever get the chance to see this show do so, or even if you just get to see one or both of them do some improv get there, you won't be disappointed. That evening was the second 404s show, Stump the Nerds where a pannel was set up of various 404s members and they came up with witty, clever, and sometimes tasteless answers to questions such as what would you do if you had a TARDIS and what would its Chameleon Circuit desguise it as.The final day was much more calm, I arrived at 9 and stood in line to get Wil Wheaton's audograph, and then waited to get Adam Baldwin's audograph. Right after that the 404s had their last show of the convention: Geeks vs Nerds. Two teams faced off to try and win the most points for their improvised scenes and thus win the game. They were joined on stage once more by Ian Boothby also joining them was Mark Meer and Chris Craddock. It was my favourite show of the weekend, they scenes where great and it just played out very well. The rest of that day was spent going around, buying some shirts and then my last activity of the day come about, that being the Brony pannel. Tara Strong graced all of us Bronies with her presence and answered our most burning questions the best she could, spoiler free saddly. After the pannel was over I collected my things, said my goodbyes and headed on the road back home, not before we made a stop at Peter's however.

It was a great weekend all in all and I'm really looking forward to next year to see how they can possibly top this one.

Update on my new review blog project: Justin and I are, as I write this, creating the blog over on wordpress, it will be active before this weekend starts and my first post will be a reivew of The Avengers. A link to the new blog will be right HERE when we have it up and running.

That's all for this entry so until next time follow me on Twitter @Nait93

Music time!

I Fight Dragons    Jake Owen    and as a little treat for all of those who have not seen it yet

Batman The Dark Knight Rises Trailer #3

No comments:

Post a Comment