Thursday, September 8, 2011

Drive Movie Reivew

Well today I was supposed to write a movie review for Apollo 18 but instead I went to a prescreening of the movie Drive with my older brother, and honestly I have no clue what to say about it.

Trailer

Drive is about a character, simply know as the Driver who will take any one on any job and away from the scene, in between that time he gives them 5 minutes to do whatever they want to, if they are back before the 5 minutes are up he will take them away, if not, sucks to be them. Driver meets a woman whos husband is coming home from jail and he ends up helping the man out as Standard, her husband, is in debt $10,000 to some people who guaranteed him protection while he was there. Driver takes him on this job and, long story short, it doesn't go as planned. He ends up getting mixed up in East vs West mob battles and has to try and figure out how to survive in what he inadvertently got himself into.  Driver is rated R in the states and I'm going to say 18A in Canada but I'm not sure.

First off what I liked about the movie: the plot was really interesting and when action scenes occur they are preformed spectacularly and without flaw, there is a lot of violence, gory gory violence, and it might seem a little off at points but it was really well done. The acting was so great, I mean Ryan Gosling was in it of course it was going to be great, it's why I saw the movie. Something I didn't expect to like was the way the movie was going to be filmed. Looking at the trailer it seems like just your average nothing special about it action movie but the director, Nicholas Winding Refn, is known for being a very artsy director, he's done the Pusher trilogy and Bronson respectively, so in the end it was not at all what the trailer makes it out to be. Which I really liked. There was definitely more things I found interesting and great about this movie but those are the BIG things.

Now for the misses: the music, I love movie scores and I pay SUCH close attention to them. This movie hardly had a score, which I don't usually mind, in this case I did not, but when it did have music it was the cheesy 80's movie music that they thought would become the next best thing for movies, technoee and repetitive, it just didn't fit, neither did the credits, bright pink scrawl across the screen just didn't sit right with me for some reason. The movie felt long, which was unfortunate because it really wasn't, it is about one and a half hours long and by the time I got out of the theatre I thought it was much later then it was when in fact it was not the case at all. It didn't drag as much as other movies I've seen, and it definitely had its high octane moments, the chase scenes where freaking awesome, but for all of that you could feel how long it was. As I mentioned before the gory scenes definitely where odd at some points and, going back to the lack of music, at some points the quiet felt awkward, but at others it was almost beautiful.

In the end Drive was an enjoyable movie but not one every action movie fan will enjoy. There will definitely be those who love it and those who hate it and those like me who aren't 100% sure what their opinion on it was. Now for rating, as I said I'm not sure what I think about this movie, I've tried to collect my thoughts as best I could and I'm surprised I've gotten this far, I'm sitting somewhere between a 6.5 and a 7, I'm leaning more towards the 7 because of all the things this movie had going right for it. So yeah, let's say I give Drive staring Ryan Gosling a 7/10. It hits theatres September 16, 2011.

Something I need to point out, as it seems weird that I would give a movie I'm not sure about the same score as I gave The Debt, I just changed the rating of the Debt to an 8 as I've rethought it and have come to the conclusion that I do in fact find that movie a great one to go to so I just figured I should point that out. Run on sentence much...

As for what's been going on lately with me nothing fantastic has really happened since I last updated. I had a jazz band meeting yesterday that didn't turn out as only 7 of us showed up, so we went out to Whyte ave and McDonald's and had a great time. Hopefully people will get there acts together and we can get this thing going soon though.

What I'm reading: The Book of (Even More) Awesome by Neil Pasricha creator of the 1000awesomethings blog. It's the second book of everyday things that just make you smile and feel good, from stomping dry crunchy leaves on the sidewalk to rocking out on air instruments. Definitely check it out if you are having an off day or just really want to keep  your Awesome day going.

On to some music! Let's do:

Foster The People  I'll Make a Man Out of You Panic! At The Disco AND WOODKID
 

No comments:

Post a Comment