Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lockout Movie Review

Alrighty ladies and germs yesterday I got the chance to check out the movie Lockout staring Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, and Peter Stormare. I haven't done a ton of reviews lately, or a lot of blogging for that matter, and I really want to get into the reviewing game so I'm gonna keep up to date with the movies I've been seeing so here we go.

The year is 2079 and a massive space prison has been built that holds 500 of the world’s most dangerous criminals all of whom are kept there in a cryogenic sleep. The president's daughter, Emilie, played by Maggie Grace, goes up to the prison to see how the inmates are being treated and too see, first hand, if the rumored side effects are actually as bad as they are said to be. While she is up there a prison riot starts and she is taken hostage along with a group of people employed on the prison. Meanwhile on Earth a man named Snow, played by Guy Pearce, is being sentenced to 30 years in the space prison for conspiracy against the United States and espionage, which he has been wrongly accused of. When word gets down to Earth that the president's daughter has been taken hostage during the riot they send Snow up to save her, and in doing so he will be given his freedom.

At the beginning of the movie I was not impressed by the CG used in the chase scene, it looked terrible and just a couple steps up from the original Tron movie's effects. Then when we got into space and were shown the prison I was blown away by how beautiful it looked. There are some absolutely great action sequences in the film that are a lot of fun to watch. This movie did not take itself too seriously, which I loved, it kept making me rethink if it was an action movie or a comedy, every few minutes there are scenes where you're laughing hysterically and then they go right back into the action and that was something I thought was really well done and well put into the film to make it more enjoyable to watch.

For the first two acts the movie really delivers with good character building and really interesting concepts and a plot that could go places, I was really looking forward to seeing how everything came together at the end of the movie. Then the end of the movie came and I was very disappointed for a couple different reasons. First off as the movie is coming into its last half hour the action amps up and everything just happens. It happens so fast that it was clear they either ran out of money or time to make the movie and it just wraps up WAY to suddenly, and this is sometimes alright, if they have tied up all the loose ends in the movie, if that happens, I'm totally okay with a fast ending. Sadly that did not happen...at all. By the end of the movie there were so many loose ends that I was left totally unsatisfied. There were a bunch of cool things that they threw into the story that I was excited to see explored and explained and at the end of the movie they just seemed to have forgotten anything was happening and wrapped it up and slapped the credits on the end. It was rather disappointing.

So with all that what are my thoughts on the movie? See it if you are interested in seeing a cool action flick, but be ready to be disappointed at plot holes. If you liked the Fifth Element, see this movie, there is a lot of similarities.

I give Lockout a 7.5 out of 10.

Guy Pearce was great in this movie, he's definitely one of Hollywood’s least utilized actors. Him and Ewan McGregor need to be in more films, get on it all you movie people!

That's it for this review folks. Follow me on Twitter @Nait93

2 comments:

  1. Solid review Nathan. Of course you get what you would expect from a B-grade sci-fi flick but it's still a lot of fun and the cast knows how to sell this type of material, as ridiculous as it may be. Guy Pearce also has a blast with this role and it's so great to see that from such a professional like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, I just checked out your blog, once I get my review blog up and running over on wordpress I'll definitely be following you. Keep up the work!

      Delete